Step 1: Locate the spreadsheet on your iPhone or iPad
- Start by locating your spreadsheet in your email as an attachment or in a document storage application, such as iCloud Drive, Google Drive, Dropbox. **Make sure your spreadsheet is in a .csv format and includes a header row plus one row of data. We also suggest having max 2,000 records per import**
- Open the spreadsheet in the external application and tap the share icon.
- Choose Sales Navigator from the list of applications.
- Once the spreadsheet has been shared with Sales Navigator the spreadsheet import process will begin.
Step 2: Choose a location to save spreadsheet data
Once the import process has begun, you will be asked where you would like to store the spreadsheet data. For every import, Sales Navigator will automatically generate a custom group that will store the imported data in order to help with data management. You can edit the title of this group by tapping in the text box.
Custom vs. External Group Storage
You also have the option to save the spreadsheet data in an already created Custom Group or in an External Group synced to your device. As above, adding the data to a Custom Group will store the data locally only in Sales Navigator. If you choose to add the data to an External Group, the data will flow into the contacts application and also into the source of the External Group, such as iCloud, Gmail or Exchange.
Step 3: Assign spreadsheet columns to contact fields
After you have choose a location to store the imported data, you will be prompted to match contact fields with spreadsheet columns. Some columns may automatically matched to fields that have the same name, such as state to state. You can always unlink them if they are matched incorrectly.
- First, you will see a list of potential contact fields. Tap on a contact field, such as first name.
- Next, you will see a screen listing titles from the header row of your spreadsheet. **Note: On the iPad you will see steps 1 & 2 side by side on the screen.**
- Choose a header value to assign that column to the contact field. (i.e match first name to first name).
- Now that you have chosen a column, a letter will appear that will match to the corresponding contact field on the previous screen (or same screen if you are on the iPad).
- Continue matching the fields until you are satisfied.
Optional: Custom Fields and Constant Values
Custom Fields: At this step in the process, if you are importing data locally into Sales Navigator, you will also have the ability to create custom fields. Custom fields can be anything you wish, such as Rating, Product Interest, Opportunity Size, etc., and will be shown in the contact details widow.
To create a custom field, scroll down to the ‘Custom Fields’ section and enter the field label in the text box. If you want to add more custom fields, simply tap ‘+ add custom field’ and repeat the process. You can assign any spreadsheet column to custom field by following the directions above.
Constant Values: Constant values are single values you can add to any contact field for all imported records. For example, if you do not have a state column in your spreadsheet and all of your data is located in Wisconsin, you can add a constant value WI that you can apply to the state field.
To create the constant value, tap on the field you would like to apply it to. Then, at the top of the screen under ‘Constant’, type the value in the text box and tap on the brown circle.
Step 4: Generate automatic groups
In the last step of the import process, you can choose to create automatic groups. Automatic groups are generated by the values in a spreadsheet column. For example, if you had a column titled ‘State’ with four values ‘AR’, ‘AL’, ‘AZ’, and ‘CA’ then you can generate up to four automatic groups. Each group will contain the members that have the related values.
To create an automatic group, tap on the field you want to generate the group from. Then choose the values you want to become groups and tap ‘Done’.
Step 5: Import
Once you are finished with all of the steps, tap import to begin importing your spreadsheet. If after import, your data is not showing on the map give it a few minutes to geo-code. Lastly, if you made a mistake during the import process and would like to try again, you can easily delete your last import by tapping the information icon ( ) next to the newly created custom group. Here you can choose to delete the group and all of its members.
Thank you for using Sales Navigator for the iPhone and iPad! From more information on Spreadsheet Import read our best practices guide.
Cannot find what you are looking for? Contact our support team, we’d be happy to hear from you.